DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY (DCM)
It should go without saying that everything BIXBI does is done in the best interest of your dog. There are much easier, cost-effective ways to make dog food. But we have always known that using ingredients like fresh meat and whole foods is what’s right for your dog. We are one of the only companies that don’t use meat meals in any of our recipes. We publish our digestibility results and are always transparent (dare we say proud?) about our ingredient sourcing.
We joke about it being “damn near perfect,” but it ‘s actually something we strive for.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) and Dogs
There has been a lot of confusion around DCM, diet, dogs and the FDA. You may be hearing mixed messages about grain-free diets and if grains need to be included for a food to be safe.
Recently Dr. Steven Solomon, Director of the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Veterinary Medicine helped bring more clarity to the situation.
On November 3, 2020, Solomon released a report that confirmed two very important facts.
- “FDA has not taken regulatory action against or declared any specific pet food products unsafe or definitively linked to DCM.”
- “Historically, DCM has been primarily linked to genetic predisposition in certain breeds, but in the context of these atypical cases, emerging science indicates that non-hereditary DCM is a complex medical condition that may be affected by the interplay of multiple factors such as genetics, underlying medical conditions and diet.”
BIXBI Goes Beyond
Just like our recipes and the ingredients we use, BIXBI goes above and beyond with safety, science and nutrition.
BIXBI employs a PhD in Companion Animal Nutrition, a Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionist, a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), in addition to a world-renowned Veterinary Cardiologist and other industry experts with decades of canine nutrition experience. All are well-respected and work closely with the BIXBI team to develop, test and certify each recipe is complete, balanced and nutritious for all breeds and life stages.
All of this to ensure your dogs health, wellness and nutrition.
What has BIXBI done to help provide your dog with a safe diet?
- Developed a variety of both grain-inclusive and grain-free diets so that you can feel confident in what you offer your dog
- Conducted blood plasma and digestibility studies to ensure our food has safe levels of digestible amino acids
- Supplemented with taurine and l-carnitine
- We test all of our raw ingredients as well as our finished food to make sure everything is packed full of the things your dog needs, and has none of the bad stuff.
- Provide you with a complete nutritional analysis of our diets (want to see what’s in your dog food? Just ask!)
The BIXBI Difference starts with fresh ingredients. Thoughtfully sourced fresh meat, poultry and fish are the primary sources of protein. Common ingredients like chicken meal, beef meal and fish meal and industrial grains like soy, corn, wheat and rice are cheap fillers and are never used in BIXBI recipes.
When you start with good ingredients, the last thing you want to do is over-process them and remove their nutritional benefits. BIXBI gently steam cooks all of our kibble in its own juices to retain flavor and nutrients.
All BIXBI products are tested by independent third-party labs for accuracy and safety. BIXBI goes above and beyond standard pet food testing protocols and tests for heavy metals and other toxins that can potentially build up in a dogs body over time.